Sunday 22 January 2012

Vegan, dairy free crêpes


Isn't it just the way that having spent hours thinking about the title and design of my crafty blog, the first thing I want to share is food-related? Still, no matter, because I think this tells you a good deal about me. I look on most aspects of my life in the same way that I look on my crafts - an opportunity to express myself, be creative, experiment and have fun!

It's hardly ground-breaking to say that there is something decadent about taking the time to make a special breakfast, and that for many a bacon sandwich or poached egg on toast heralds the weekend. But making pancakes just for yourself is the ultimate decadence. Try it!

The secret to the success of these vegan crêpes is gram flour, which is a miraculous ingredient I use an awful lot. It gives the crêpes the lightness and elasticity the eggs would usually provide. There is also no weighing in this recipe which reduces the faff factor and clearing up. Quantities are to make two crêpes, which was plenty for me this morning, but you can easily increase the quantities if you are feeling greedier or if there are more of you:


Ingredients:
2 dessert spoons plain flour
1 dessert spoon gram flour
pinch salt
About a cupful of milk.


Method:
Mix dry ingredients together. Add milk a dash at a time, stirring as you go to avoid lumps, until you have something the consistency of emulsion paint.


Cook in the usual manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment